Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help Member List Member List  
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

What is "Tres Dias"?

Friends Discussion Board » Prophecy, News and Current Events » What is "Tres Dias"? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Deborah
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-217-224-240.ags.bellsouth.net

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm guessing it's okay to put this under "current events", if not...slap me or something...but I want some information.

I have just today heard of this "movement". It is shrouded in secrecy and (to me) has the trappings of a cult. Do any of you wonderful people know anything about it? It is a "Christian" group, but yet is hidden by secret meetings, etc.

I understand the Methodists, Baptists, well, pretty much all denominations are involved. What the heck is going on?

Thanks for all your input. I claim true ignorance about this and am hunting information.

Thanks again,
Deb

Gordon
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-68-89-46-129.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deborah,
I had never heard of Tres Dias until you mentioned it so I went looking for internet info and here is a defination that I found.

"Tres Dias was derived from Cursillo (koor-see-yo) de Cristiandad (a short course in Christianity), which was been an active tool of renewal in the roman Catholic Church since its Spanish beginning in 1949.
Tres Dias in an ecumenical version of Cursillo, open to any Christians interested in deepening their walk with the Lord. Each attendee must be sponsored by someone who has previously attended a Tres Dias or Cursillo weekend. Tres Dias was started in 1972, and is now overseen by a National organization of lay people and clergy. Individual weekends are coordinated by area Secretariats, whose members consist of anyone who has already made a Tres Dias weekend.

Tres Dias relies on prayer and on the indwelling presence of God's Spirit for its Leadership and guidance.

That is all I know about it.

Take care,
Gordon

Deborah
Unregistered guest

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 05:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I heard of this organization during a conversation with a friend of mine about our own church. My husband and I have stopped attending because one of my husband's fellow choir members told him that "Yes, I am better than everybody else." David felt that he could no longer worship in a church where members felt that way. What has bothered me is that after more than 15 years of attending, we don't seem to be misssed. Our pastor (whom we've had for two years) has not called or questioned. The choir director knows everything, but she has not made any effort to reach us either. We were active members, we wrote and read most of the narration for all sorts of programs, and David sang in the choir, etc.

Then I hear that this same "better than everybody" member is involved with "tres dias". Here is a link I found on the subject. It definitely has markings of the moonies all over it.

http://www.apolresearch.org/eng/td_eng.php3

It is so secretive. No one may attend unless invited and sponsored by someone already a member. The "candidates" are taken to an undisclosed location and in documented cases are not allowed to leave. While at the "camp", candidates are separated from anyone they already know, etc. I see all sorts of red flags here. I really am just seeking more information so I don't make a hasty judgment here.

Dazed and confused,
Deb

joe
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 0-2pool255-185.nas78.los-angeles2.ca.us.da.qwest.net

Rating: 
Votes: 3 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, January 26, 2004 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deborah,
You said:
"David felt that he could no longer worship in a church where members felt that way. What has bothered me is that after more than 15 years of attending, we don't seem to be misssed."

At the risk of sticking my nose in where it is not wanted I will just say that there is at least
ONE of those people in every church. If that is all there is in yours, you have a truly blessed church. Lots of churches have dozens of people like that in them. Satan puts them there to cause trouble and to harm the testimony of the saints. You and your husband were pretty easy prey for him weren't you?

You say that you "weren't missed"? what did you expect to happen, that they would close the church and burn it down because the "pillars" had left? Maybe you were doing more for your own glory than you were for God's glory and when you left the services went right on. You gave your church away that you had worked in for 15 years that easily? Just let the devil and his servants just take it? No rebuking that member, no talking to him about his erroneous thinking, no effort at correction? Did you not love him? Was not he your brother in Christ even though he had been misled?
I'm sorry if I have offended you, and I probably have. I pray that God will convict your heart to return and keep others from being led astray. I'd quit a church in a minute for erroneous teachings by the pastor because he is the shephard of the flock and God will deal with him, but not because some one said something to hurt my feelings would I leave a church that I believed in enough to work 15 years for. If that poisonous person has many supporters who believe like he does, then maybe it's too late for the congregation, but if he is alone in his misdeeds, what does Paul say? You are to go to him alone and discuss his error and if he will not hear you, you take the elders with you the next time and if he still will not hear, then you are to openly rebuke him and shun his company.

As far as Tres Dias, you already have seen all that you need to see and your spirit is saying stay away. Listen to it. Jesus is free and open and so is his church. It's only "exclusive membership" is that you are a believer in His suffering for you, His death, and resurrection. That makes you a member in good standing.

May God bless and show you what He would have you do about your church
JJ
Again, I'm sorry if I have offended you, please forgive me.

Deborah
Unregistered guest

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 04:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear JJ...

My spirit tells me to stay away from any organized religious gathering. I was wanting to know if anyone here on this Board knew any more than I about "Tres Dias". I guess not. My info has come straight from the internet, and I am not in the habit of believing everything I read.

As far as our church goes...yes, we did enjoy it if that is what you mean by doing it for our own glory. If you mean that we thought we were the so important that they couldn't do without us, then you are wrong.

This man has attended Tres Dias and suddenly he is in control of the choir and the pastor. I wanted to understand that.

Sheeeeeesh! And people wonder why I do not post more often.

JJ, honey darlin'...you haven't really offended me, but I do think I'll go back underground and keep my questions to myself.

Deb

Faith
Unregistered guest
Posted From: cae168-241-077.sc.rr.com

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb,
I can understand where you are coming from. We were involved in a church and we were terribly hurt by the members and pastor. It causes a deep hurt. I almost backslid over it. We quit church all together for seven years!! No one knows how deep the hurt can be unless they have experienced it. We gave our lives to this church. They were our family.
We had a new pastor come in and my husband was clerk. He wanted my husband to resign so he could put his own man in the position. We investiagated him and found he had stole money from his former church. He did not want my husband to be in charge of the money so he brought up false charges against my husband. Out right lies! Well the church was split over this. We had a member meeting with the overseer. The police had to be called! It was terrible. People I thought I knew were wanting to do physical harm to other church members.
As clerk, members would come and tell him things that pastor was doing. We chose to stand up for what was right and stand with the members.
These same members accused my husband of wrong doing at this big meeting. My heart was broke by all the lying. We had the overseer's support because he also knew the facts about this man.

Yes, the hurt can run deep.
I know that Joe means well though. We did as Joe had suggested. It just did not turn out very well. The church split and the pastor backslid, left his wife and sang in night clubs.
It was a sorry mess for sure.
Deb, hang in there.
Faith

Gordon
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-68-88-12-160.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Faith,
Was that new pastor a Mason? Churches are major targets of Masonic takeovers and they do it pretty much the way you described. I talked to a pastor about this very subject in 2000. We talked in his office and he said that he was very aware of how Masons take over a church by slowly aquiring positions of authority and finally the church itself.
Take care,
Gordon

Gordon
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-68-88-12-160.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deborah,
That Tres Dias thing sounds just like an ideal method of Masons organizing for whatever purpose they want to achieve. I am not saying that Tres Dias has Masonic influence but it is an ideal setup.
take care,
Gordon

Esther
Unregistered guest
Posted From: host81-128-59-30.in-addr.btopenworld.com

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deborah,

I had never heard of this 'Tres Dias' before you posted. But I did a search and it sounds highly suspect! Thankyou for alerting us to it. I am sorry that it has meant you leaving your church, I hope and pray you will find a new church soon but you could always consider starting your own house church, just like the New Testament churches.

Love Esther

Faith
Unregistered guest
Posted From: cae168-241-077.sc.rr.com

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 07:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Army,
I don't know if he was a mason or not. It is truly sad when things like this happen. But where else would the evil one do more damage? When I am able to go, I attend a church where my brother in law is Pastor. I know he is a man after God's own heart.
I do agree with Joe about the Pastor. Some members may allow sin to come into the camp, but the pastor needs to know about it.
Even after all the pain we went through, I would stand for truth!
Yes, the truth did come out in the end and people were very apologetic, but it made me learn one of life's greatest lessons. Do not place your confidence in man, but in God.

God bless,
Faith

saintjeremiah
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.43.131.254

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2004 - 01:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

quote:

Tres Dias is an interdenominational Christian renewal movement. It encourages people to be in small groups to support each other in their lives as Christians. Tres Dias is similar to the Cursillo movements. There are more than 55 Tres Dias communities around the world.

TRES DIAS is based on the principles, the method, and the teachings of the Roman Catholic Cursillo movement initially proposed by Bishop Juan Hervas, Eduardo Bonnin and their fellow
Christians. Each candidate goes through three phases of the TRES DIAS movement: the pre-weekend, the three-day weekend1 and
the Fourth Day. TRES DIAS is a Christian interdenominational movement.

Tres Dias
Internet Site
http://www.tresdias.org/

Jeremiah: As you know Deb...I go to the horses mouth...if at all possible. The aspect that disturbs me about this movement is the "eccuminicalism"...the mixing of Roman Catholics and Protestants. The integrity of the movement is suspect...to me...when the doctrinal errors of Romanism...i.e. transsubstantionism, Nicolatianism, Mariolatry, idolatry...ect. are never mentioned...this is blatant deception.

Jesus said;

Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy. 2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known. 3 Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops. Luke 12

Romanism is a cult....do not let neo-evangelicals and others tell you otherwise. Any acceptance of Romanism is a sure way to bring God's wrath upon ones ministry.

Deborah
Unregistered guest
Posted From: adsl-220-34-201.sav.bellsouth.net

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello All...

Thanks everyone. Yes, this "thing" has masonic trappings and definite Roman Catholic ideals.

Faith, sweetie...our pastor was a "new" pastor too. We've only had him about 2 years and all of a sudden this couple in our church is running things. They've even gone up to other members and said, "We've been thinking and decided you need to move to another Sunday School class." Outrageous. The whole atmosphere has changed and after so many years...well, I do feel dazed about it all.

btw...we attended a Methodist church and (I don't know if you know or not) our pastors are changed periodically. I know, I know...not the best system in the world...so please don't berate me on that point.

Thank you for all your kind words.

Deb

Hindsfeet
Unregistered guest
Posted From: dialup-207-218-217-108.ev1.net

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 08:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Deb,

What you are seeing is the "Long Arm" of Catholicism! Not to worry about being "berated" on your denomination. Upon my return to LA from GA I visited several churches in hopes of finding a "church home" including Methodist. In the foyer of the Methodist Church they had several books on the Cursillo! Attending a Baptist Church and reading their bulletin, a Catholic priest was the scheduled speaker for "Promise Keepers." Needless to say my "hiney" didn't warm either of the pews! This was in 1997, I can only imagine how deep the Catholic Church has infiltrated main stream churches! God Bless you in your search for truth. Scripture says 1 Thess. 5:6 "So let us not sleep as others do, but let us be alert and sober."

Feet

saintjeremiah
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good points Feet....

Deb, in my discipleship I emphasis Bible knowledge before deciding on a Church. It use to be that the Church was where a new born saint could be indoctrinated in reasonable saftey from aberrent or heretical doctrine, if the soulwinner was wise in which denomination he/she recommended.

But as I have observed the decline and decay of evangelicalism in America...I have concluded that the Church is not a safe place for indoctrination for a new born saint. With neo-evangelicalism, eccumicalism...and a host of other "isms"...the majority of Church's are riddled with doctrinal problems that extend beyond the fundimentals they hold.
But I can only speak for myself...I am confident that I hold to the old faith and have not compromised with the current trends. I have to be cautious with individual soulwinners and Pastors I recommend. It is a case by case bases...requiring prayer and discernment.
Only after a new born saint has been properly indoctrinated and can rightly handle the word of God on their own do I encourage them to seek out a fellowship. I keep myself available for counsel...but I do not tell my disciple what Church they should go to. Each assembly..regardless of denomination...has its own unique, peculiar problems.

If this area looses the few remaining, biblically sound churches because they coperate with Romanism and eventually Mormonism...only then would I seek to create a local home fellowship.

This is why I have encourage several posters..based on their doctrine and discernment...to start home fellowships in areas they say they cannot find a biblically sound Church. They would do more to advance the truth of the gospel for God than to submit to a denomination that God has removed their lampstands.....

Hindsfeet
Unregistered guest
Posted From: dialup-216-40-254-37.ev1.net

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amen SJ,

It is a case by case bases...requiring prayer and discernment.

You and I have so often discussed how important discipleship is for new converts. As much as I hate physical abortion I hate to see spiritual abortion happen in a new convert! Thank you for your post!

Blessings,
Feet
YM

saintjeremiah
Unregistered guest

Rating: 

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too often..discipleship is like bringing a baby home and telling the baby...

quote:

"Mom and Dad are really busy. So if you need milk it will be in the fridge. We keep the diapers in the hamper over there. Here is a list of phone numbers you can call in case there is an emergency. Take care of yourself..and we will be home sometime tonight or tomarrow."

If God graciously give the saint the blessing of birthing a new saint the advise is [these are actual quotes and incidents)....

"Here is a King James Bible (usually a plain text without notes, given to one who is funtional illiterate or is not aquainted with Elizabethian English), read it every day beginning with *Genesis (after they get to Exodus 20 their enthusiam is quenched by the discription of the tabernacle), don't start with the book of Revelation yet...it is a very difficult book and you will need to know the Bible better before you read this book (every baby I have met wants to know about this book....so why not....? It is a good primer to other books of the Bible).

"You will need to talk to God...so make sure you pray to him often." (They have never prayed before, so all they know is the so-called "Sinner's Prayer". Jesus had to model how to pray to His disciples to help them pray aright....should we do any less?)

"Going to Church is very important. This is where the Bible is taught and Christians fellowship. I'll give you the address of the Church I go to and you can meet me there."

• Do you think that it is "discipleship" just to take them to Church and hear the Pastor preach and the Sunday School teacher teach? No...dicipleship..is Church...and...fellowshipping with the convert from Monday to Saturday...as time allows. Take them bowling, or golfing, or shopping. Yes...this is all apart of discipleship. Jesus lived with His disciples for four years...can't even 1 hour a week be spared by you?
  • Why not be a responsible spiritual parent and take them to Church.
  • Going to "Church" is a culture shock to new babes;
    • Pentecost/Charismatic Churches- If they have never be exposed to "speaking in tongues" they will think your church is "nuts" (I Corinthians 14:23) and never darken its doorstep again. If their having "holy laughter" and slaying in the spirit...they will never speak to you again.
    • Arminian Protestant/Baptist- If it is a liturgical Church...the responsive reading, ecceliasical language and the offering plate may be disconcerting. If it is informal...they may be more comfortable...if you explain why your church does what it does. Additionally...a Sunday School teacher maybe emphasising how Hebrews 6 teaches that a Christian can fall from grace and loose their salvation.
    • Calvinism Protestant/Baptist- Depends on whether it is litergical or informal. Liberal or legalistic. Covenant or Dispensational..ect. It is best to be their guide. Dressing up to nice clothes may be disconcerting...helping out is another way to help them feel they belong [ I am not suggesting suit, ties, and ankel length dress...what I am suggesting is to replace obviously worn out jeans and that the lady dresses modestly...plunging necklines and mini-skirts makes older saints uncomfortable... you don't want a legalist to get on them about their clothes].
    • Neo-Evangelical/Pragmatic Church- It will be so informal and laid back that they will enjoy the bands, the worship dance team, and the message packed with relevant advise. But they will not learn the fundimental's, holiness, godliness and why Christians need to be seperate from false doctrine and from the world. They will not learn that the Christian life is one of transformation...of leaving the life of the flesh and living by the Spirit....ect.
  • I find that getting to church early with the convert and having a talk about what to expect when they attend my Church and to answer questions is very helpful.

After they get hit with these three...(and I have made the same mistake...following the advise of others)....they disappear. The response of Church
members is....

"Oh they never really were saved. If they were they would be reading their Bible, praying and going to Church."

What have I learned that works?
  1. Be their friend first.
  2. Disciple at home....either yours or theirs.
  3. Teach them the Christians world view based on the Bible.
  4. Leave off "Christianees"....talk like a real person.
  5. If they "fall away"...love them, pray for them and let them know that you are their friend in Christ Jesus. Let God and time determine whether they are saved or not. Sometimes...the fruit of the Spirit takes time to mature.

Note

* Or the Gospel of John. Generally staying New Testament without any exposure to the O.T. "The Old Testament is at times boreing and hard to understand. Learn about Jesus first before you go to the Old Testament." (Jesus started with O.T. prophecy about Himself to help His disciples understand His mission [see Luke 24]).

Hindsfeet
Unregistered guest
Posted From: dialup-216-40-228-65.ev1.net

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 04:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

SJ,

Excellent post! I was very blessed to have the most caring Pastor when I was converted. I was told to start reading from both O.T. the Psalms and N.T. Gospel of John. Pastor Spencer always told me the truth in love, such as "You packed too many bags, when you left Egypt." LOL We still laugh about this. I pray daily for him and his wife. What a true Shepherd's heart I was blessed with for my first Pastor.

Blessings,
Feet

saintjeremiah
Unregistered guest
Posted From: dialup-64.158.71.3.dial1.saltlakecity1.level3.net

Posted on Friday, January 30, 2004 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too thank God for Pastors and saints whom God has brought my way to disciple me as Barnabas was to Paul.
I'm curious to see whom God called to be my Barnabas...but did not obey. I pray for them that God will not hold it against them. I too have failed to be a Barnabas...so I am not without sin either.

Acts 4

36 And Joseph, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas (which is, being interpreted, Son of exhortation), a Levite, a man of Cyprus by race...

Acts 9

26 And when he was come to Jerusalem, he assayed to join himself to the disciples: and they were all afraid of him, not believing that he was a disciple. 27 But Barnabas took him, and brought him to the apostles, and declared unto them how he had seen the Lord in the way, and that he had spoken to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus.

Tres_dias_askme
Username: Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 2
Posted From: cpe0007e97f17c6-cm001404964478.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

}

Hi everyone,

Well I'd like to inform you that I've just come back from a (Tres Dias weekend)

I had to hide my self in order to make a call on my cell phone. We were told we could not have cell phones or watches at all.

The word Control does not even do justice!

Body Guards everywehere, you can't even go to the bathroom without a women at your heel, they wont leave you alone for one second.

I finaly used my wisdom in action, I had them believe that If they let me rest I would be able to attend all the other meetings, of course that alone was something that was againts there practise.

I finaly I decided to go to my cabin, even though they think I had no idea! I saw a guy following me to my cabin I close my drapes made a call to my cell phone.

My husband finaly got here, no sooner had he arrived they were at my door, they stil tried to talk me into staying even though I was very sick.

The word control hardly does them justice!
They are in control of everything you do.
There is deception,lying,cold hearts,and they dont care about you one bit.

They have a form of Godlyness but there very hearts deceive them, they play God,and have away to put guilt on you. They love the praises of man and they don't care how you feel, they will try to keep you put were they can watch you "everywhere" no joke its true.

There is more to my story but I can't right a book so ask me what you want to know.

If you have any questions I"d be glad to answer,

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 3

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,

Im new at this Forum but I would like to inform you all that I have just come back from a Tres Dias retreat,more like being in a prison camp.

This is a Cult with all the outer apearance of kindness and love you talk, the truth of the mater is that you are watched from the day you arrive none stop, they have team members going with you to the bathroom, you are not allowed cell phones,watches,any kind of communication outside the camp,they keep information from you, they never answer a direct question when asked.

They pretend you are cared for and served on but when you want to go lay down cause your sick they will do everything to keep you from being left alone.

They have emotional off the wall meetings, allot of Catholic religous practises,they play God,and love to be exalted even though they sayd they don't they do by there mouth.

I've been in a Cult for 15 years in my pass, and you know when you see the signs of one.

This one plays on your emotions,feelings,act like big babies,one sister hugs hugs hugs kissed me on the mouth then was lying on my lap, she was crying like a big baby Hello we are adults who are supose to be controlled by the spirit of God not by our flesh.

She wanted to be noticed and have an audience with the leaders, well she got one. Till this day it turns my stomach just thinking of it.

There is many other things I was confronted with but I will leave the questions to you. Oh ya when ever you don't go along with them your considered a rebel and I was told that twice while I was at that retreat. Stay away from high weekend retreats they are Cults very well Masked in the contents of Jesus Loves you and all the muchy crap that comes along with that, true friend take time to build so don't be taken with words that sounds to pretty, they play on your feelings, emotions big time.

Be Wise! if your stuck in a Cult play along win there trust then find a quick way and run like hell, don't look back and dont' trust anyone not even your friend say nothing to know one but God!
( I played along managed to get to my cabin call my husband on the cell phone I had hid and he came to get me, they still tried to keep me but I pretty well just egnored them and drove off with my husband.

sick sick...only Jesus can fill your life, read the bible and pray every day and guard your heart from such Cults.

Pat2
Username: Pat2

Post Number: 198
Posted From: h112.93.255.206.cable.htsp.cablelynx.com

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tres,

Welcome. Glad you were able to get out of there.

I hope you will look over some of the other threads and give us some input. We are a small but faithful group and hope you will join us.

Shalom,
Pat

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 06:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah thank you very much, yes I did get out and im very glad I did. Cults come in so many forms very hard for even the wise to see throught them.

Awitness
Username: Awitness

Post Number: 287
Posted From: adsl-074-183-049-016.sip.cha.bellsouth.net

Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 08:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Welcome Tres,
I am thankful you escaped your ordeal with the cult. We are all seeking to understand God's Word and grow in closeness regarding our walk with the Lord Jesus Christ. You are welcome to hang out and join in our discussions. We have had many good ones.

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 07:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The retreat was highly guarded with human christians, the sad thing is that most are not really aware of what is going on, trying to explain this to anyone who has had a high feeling emotional experience is very difficult. When they realized I wanted to go home they bombered me with three christians one wispering in my ears talking in tongues, sounded like demons chanting.

I almost said to the person doing this , that if I wanted to have demons talking to me I could call the Hell phone line.

Then I had this other sister touching me and wiping water all over me talking in a fast freaky way, I thought to my self what in heaven is she doing putting her hands all over me like that?

the story continues.............

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 08:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Deb your link does not work...

Awitness

Post Number: 288

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tres,
Exactly what were you hoping to find by attending this event?

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I was invited I said yes, then I asked questions when my questions were not really answered I decided I did not want to go.

By then I could not out dew my husbands decision, I figure well I'll go and trust God. I knew the momen I arived there that something was wrong when they asked us to not have cell phone or watches, and how they did not let us rest after are one hour care ride.

But hey give it the benefit of the doubt right, your sponsor paid yoru way_see how that works Guilt Guilt!!

I figure well I have allot of patients so i'll go with the flow, till I started getting sick, well that was another matter.

Being forced to not let you rest so you can get better to attend the next meeting, im telling you they are an interesting band of women soldier.

I guess I knew I was strong enough to make my stand if I had to, and that time came I did just that, since it was not a private secluded camp there was not much they could to but try to use words and guilt trip words to keep me there.

I had my watch in my pocket, my credit card and my cell phone in my bad hid.

Gee wonder what I was thinking when I got there, play my cards right I guess.

Tres_dias_askme

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I was at least looking to enjoy the ministry, if anything else. I did find that link Deb, very good article, but no one wants to read it,there mind is made up! The fact is this Tres Dias started because the church was not meeting the needs of Gods people,in the same way without being so bold to say it is communicating the same thing that Pastors are not doing there job, for many that is true sad but true.
On the other hand even if the Pators do respond to the call of Tres Dias practise it now becomes the soul movement in the church pretty well open to anything. I believe its a movement that is ushing in the Roman Catholic Traditions and it's cultis believes, of course im just playing with words im no Scholar. But I know there is a feeling of control and mind game playing...the weak minded are always the worse prey.

Awitness

Post Number: 289

Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 07:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tres, Im sure this was a bad experience for you. I guess we all have had some of those in finding our place in the family of Christendom. We all need to find a network of like believers where we can trust, learn and be held accountable. I believe this is where Satan works the hardest and probally does some of his best work to destroy believers and relationships of believers. There is great power in the gathering and prayer of like minded believers.

Loring
Username: Loring

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 37-255.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com

Rating: 
Votes: 14 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are wacko! Cult, puh-leeze! My daughter first went to Vida Nueva (Tres Dias for teens) and it was life changing! She was not left alone, because they want you to feel "attended to". They shower you with love and gifts to be an example of the love of Jesus. They do ask you to leave your cell phone and watch at home so you are not distracted by the world that constantly tugs at us. When she returned home she immediately broke up with her boyfriend that was not walking with God, and continued with a passion for Christ like I have never seen. She has since volunteered at the retreat and loved serving and praying for the other teen girls as they allow the Lord to change their lives. My son also went on a boy's retreat, and it was really wonderful for him.

As to the 'secrecy': If you knew everything that was going to happen it might not have the same impact. They just want you to be confronted with the love and grace of God. It might be intense as you consider the sacrifice of Jesus for you, and you are challenged to follow Him in a sacrificial way in return. All this nonsense about masons or 'romanists' trying to infiltrate the church is hogwash. This has nothing to do with any of that. This organization is actually portraying the church in a very biblical way, not fighting over doctrine, but agreeing on the lordship of Christ, and the infalibility of the Word. Stop flapping your gums about stuff you know nothing about. You're just looking for conspiracy and drama. You won't find it at Tres Dias.

Gordon51b
Username: Gordon51b

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 158.81.96.129

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2010 - 07:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Loring,
You have been blind sided by the Catholic Church but you will eventually find the truth.

Tres Dias seems to be another poorly-disguised device developed to support the Catholic Church's ecumenical activities. I also agree that, “holy language” notwithstanding; it is unbiblical and, therefore, draws the gullible and easily bamboozled away from sound biblical doctrine and toward the heretical teachings of the Roman cult.

Take care,
Gordon

Mln
Username: Mln

Posted From: c-24-126-161-222.hsd1.ga.comcast.net

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

first time to render an opinion but feel strongly about this subject.

I actually attended one of these weekends and I do not believe it is formatted or executed by scriptural authority. First of all, I do not believe that the gospel needs to be presented in any kind of secretive way, nor do I believe that before presenting the gospel, you need to hold your audience captive. God's Word has power in it alone and God opens the heart of the hearer to hear. He does not need our help in either of these areas and this weekend retreat that is a secluded, controlled evironment is not modeled in scripture. Anytime we are outside of scriptural authority we become dangerously close to the warning mentioned in Revelation of adding or taking away from God's word.

I had a problem from the beginning when we were told that our bibles were not needed. On my weekend, I was the only one of the "pilgrims" with my bible. And worse than that, before Saturday evening, there was not one single personally spoken prayer, all were scripted. Now, maybe I'm alone in this but if you are trying to encourage believers to have a personal relationship with the Lord, how do you do that without personally spoken prayers or reading our Savior's word?

I only made it to Saturday evening before calling my husband to come get me. The leaders were holding a cross when they spoke and I asked about that. I was told that it gave them strength,comfort and courage and we were going to be asked to hold a cross when we prayed, and for the same reason. Hold on a minute. That is idolatry! Nothing....no created image on this earth is to represent our God and certainly that image has no power to bring strength, comfort or courage. Didn't God say that He wanted our worship of Him to be different than the pagans who all had idols of some kind? Just because it's a cross does not make the command null and void. Nor should we bow down to the cross and offer up a piece of bread, calling it our sins and dropping that bread in a basket. We were asked to perform this ritual also. I got up and went to talk to the leaders. When I explained to them that they are playing with fire and leading ignorant people to do the same, they were extremely offended. However, after thinking about what I said, one of the pastors told me that he agreed that some of the things are not biblical. My response was "then why are you doing it?"

The saddest part of my weekend experience was the lack of the Holy Spirit being present. I am a believer who is extremely sensitive to His presence yet I was completely numb until the few moments before I left. I was overcome by His presence, thankful finally, to feel Him come over me. Within a few minutes, I was asked to come outside where I faced the leadership who asked me to leave. I was certainly ok with leaving but they mischaracterized why I was leaving to my whole group....told them a lie basically. I pray now and I prayed then that our Father would convict their hearts and they would not rest with their own actions or their falsehoods.

Having said all of this, I know that lives can and are touched during these weekends. But I also know that the end (salvation) DOES NOT justify the means (ignoring or distorting scriptural commands). God's word can and will penetrate through our sin and our less than perfect attempts of witnessing but that does not give us license to go against scripture and lead others to do the same. When we read His word, yet still do it our way, we are not in obedience; His Holy Spirit does not abide in that. We need to get to know our God from His word and not just do our own thing, calling it good or loving or acceptable.

I pray those in leadership wake up to truth!

Gordon51b

Post Number: 151

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2010 - 08:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Min,
I hope Lorin has read your post and takes it to heart. Wacko's indeed, at least we are not taken in by this Tres Dios non-sense.

Hope both of you hang around.

Take care,
Gordon

Sogj
Username: Sogj

Posted From: cpe-76-186-103-107.tx.res.rr.com

Rating: 
Votes: 9 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi! :-)

I am just answering to Min here. I'm involved with Tres Dias and your experience saddens me. I'd like to make a couple of points.

One, each Tres Dias is pretty much autonomous. Lumping all of them together is like saying you don't like every agricultural and mechanical college because you hate Texas A&M. Associated with each other? Loosely. That's why I can't answer about having your Bible taken away. That doesn't make any sense to me. We were encouraged to bring and read our Bibles. The reason they were "not needed" is because, what if someone doesn't have one? They might feel left out. So all scriptures are put up on the projector, that way you don't "need" a Bible because the verses are written out for you. (Avoids feeling of guilt or separation if you left yours at home or whatever.) That’s how it is in my community at least. Almost all our candidates and certainly all the team kept and read their Bibles a lot.

Two, Tres Dias is not a church or a religion and doesn't seek to be. We aren't like, say, a Mormon church where we want to go off and be our own thing. The members of our community attend a variety of churches, from the ecumenical to the charismatic, and are actively involved in those churches.

Three, Tres Dias doesn't claim that BECAUSE it's sequestered, or has all these "special" things, that we've found some magical formula for finding the Spirit, like you can summon some magical words to make Him appear. Each rector is in prayer about his or her weekend for at least a year, usually more, about how exactly to orchestrate everything to be personal to the candidates who will attend that particular weekend. It always works out that God orchestrates the team and candidates in a divine way. The weekend I just worked, for instance, someone on the team had to drop off at the last minute and we had to call someone who lived far away to come fill her spot. It was definitely divine, that person was supposed to be there for that weekend. It's not that we've discovered some secret formula; it's just that a TON of prayer goes into orchestrating everything to make sure we're following the Spirit (at least in our community.) All of the "secret" things we do aren't secret at all. They're just surprises and are a lot more fun if you don't know about them ahead of time. Like the end of a movie.

As for the prayers, who says that a written prayer can't be as personal as a made up one? I'm willing to bet that when your church has a worship service you don't make up new songs on the fly every time. You sing the same songs over and over and over. You might introduce a new one but you're still singing prewritten words. Is it impossible to have an encounter with God because of this? I'd say no. I used to be very against everything ecumenical until Tres Dias. It's not like we "never" pray any other way. Candidates and team pray together all the time (again, in our community.) The reason the prayers are written out is to (a) make sure the timeline is stuck to, it's hard to fit that much stuff into three days, and (b) to avoid a very real situation that happens sometimes and that is that someone comes who really believes they are hearing from God and they are not. Unintentional prayer gossip is a very real problem and pervasive in Christian communities and a written prayer avoids that and other problems that may occur when you ask a large group of people who don't know each other to come together and pray. I know someone who was accused in a prayer of having a homosexual relationship with his pastor. This wasn't true but could be very, very damaging and hurtful and these kinds of things have no place on a weekend. Obviously in a perfect world this wouldn't happen but we are fallen creations. We are sensitive to the Spirit in the weekends and in the prayers, and there is a time for personal prayers. Some who are not comfortable praying out loud were able to do so and really commune with God because the words were already written out. Is a man who types out his proposal and reads it because he's nervous less sincere than one who makes it up on the fly? I posit, no, and possibly the opposite. Is he less sincere if he downloaded one off the internet because he wasn't impressed with his own speaking skills? I posit, no.

Sogj

Rating: 
Votes: 4 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(continued from above)

As for the cross, it's not that somehow two sticks of wood coming together channels some spiritual guidance or something. It's just a physical reminder of a spiritual truth. When I miss my husband, if he's at work or something, sometimes I'll fidget with the ring on my finger. It's not some mystical force that channels his energy and love into me. It's just a reminder that he's out there, that he loves me, that he's coming home soon. It does bring me comfort, but it's not the object that's bringing me comfort but what it represents. The cross is the same way. The people who speak are not necessarily communication majors and often they are VERY nervous about public speaking. This holds true for candidates who don't want to pray out loud. No one is ever forced to, but the cross represents something. It does to me. When I see a cross my spirit leaps inside of me. It's a symbol of an overwhelming love. It calms me because it's a visual reminder of a sacrifice I will never full grasp. It's not some magical thing with a physical object that channels the Spirit. It's just something to grab onto when you're in front of people and nervous and having to speak and it's a reminder not only of Christ's love but that the community at large is praying just for you. I would strongly doubt that you've *never* been encouraged spiritually by a physical object. God created the physical realm, it's not somehow LESS real than the spiritual realm. He can use physical objects to encourage people, too. Sunsets make me feel like He's pouring His love over my soul. Is a sunset idolatry? I posit, no. It's just a symbol, a sweet reminder.

I'm going to go ahead and say I'm very confused about your concern with taking communion. Communion is a biblical command. If you're just talking specifically about the "laying your burdens" down communion, again, it's a symbol. That cross there isn't special. It's not going to magically fix everything. But it makes His sacrifice very real to some people. Driving nails into that wood brought tears to my eyes, I just wanted to kiss that cross. It's not a mystical thing. I kiss my wedding ring sometimes when my husband isn't around. There is no physical Jesus for us to adore right now as Mary did. Raising hands in worship, jumping or dancing, or bowing before a cross are all just physical overflows of a very spiritual experience. We are physical beings and it helps us to have some way to worship in a physical way. That doesn't mean the worship is purely physical, quite the opposite. I don't raise my hands in worship just to raise them. I raise them when I can't keep them down any longer. When love and grace and peace and joy rush over me and He's so present I can barely breathe I have to express it physically. I raise my hands, I might jump or dance. I can't hug him. I can't kiss him. I can't bow at His feet and wash them with my tears and dry them with my hair because He isn't physically here. But as physical beings we need to be able to express ourselves physically. That's not idolatry.

I don't know what community you're in and maybe it's different there. Maybe it is just a rote memorization or maybe it is idolatry. But I would challenge you that maybe it's not. Maybe there is a deep spiritual truth behind it all.

Sogj

Rating: 
Votes: 2 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also, candidates are allowed to leave (we just had it happen.) You do have to be sponsored but you can request a sponsor. (This is to make sure someone is praying for you.) It's not secretive, there are just surprises, and members are constantly reminded NOT to say things like "we're better than everyone" because it's stupid and not true. It's not an elitist organization, it's not some secret cult camp, and if someone is making it feel like that they have personal issues they need to work through and are NOT doing so with the blessing of the Tres Dias community.

Just because someone is involved in Tres Dias doesn't mean everything they do is sanctioned by Tres Dias. "Christians" have blown up abortion clinics in the name of Jesus. This doesn't mean He actually sanctioned it. Just a thought. :-)

Sogj

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and one more thing. About the "Ohhhhh they take away your cell phones and don't leave you alone" thing.

This is a very real concern and I do understand it because it does feel very cultish. But there is one VERY important distinction - it's only 3 days!! If it were a cult, we would be asking you to stay on the premises FOREVER without communication with the outside world or being left alone. The reason we do it is because it's a way to "get away" and leave the business of the world and kids and work and family and friends behind and just focus on you and Christ. You can't do that if you're chatting on the phone to your husband every chance you get. I understand it's very scary in our day and age to be without your cell phone because the immediate reaction is WHAT DON'T THESE PEOPLE WANT ME TO KNOW. But it's not that. It's only three days and then you are encouraged to integrate into your own personal church. Wherever you are, wherever God has you, you are encouraged to serve THERE. No one leaves their church to come follow Tres Dias. It's just Tres Dias - three days - without your cell phone, TV, internet, etc. It's bliss, honestly, if you just let that busy-ness go.

As far as leaving you alone, especially if you're sick, of course they won't leave you alone. I got sick on my weekend and I was pregnant. They took me to a special room (the prayer room) and someone stayed with me so that if I needed anything they could run to get it. They even offered the gopher (the person on the weekend who can run to walmart or whatever) to go get me medicine and offered to call my midwife. I knew I wasn't really sick just feeling pregnanty so I said no, but they just wanted to make sure I was taken care of. What if they left you alone? You're sick and they leave you alone? What kind of people would they be? What if you suddenly got REALLY sick and couldn't stand up or cry out for help? They know you're away from familiarity and routine and people you know and just want to make sure you're taken care of.

And you aren't allowed to wander around -but again, it's only for three days. After that you know all the fun surprises and you can go wherever you want. But if you were just allowed to go wandering around anywhere you might find something that would ruin the next thing for you.

The thing is, I knew *everything* about Tres Dias before I went. My parents were involved and I had already been through a VN so I pretty much knew what was coming and was very excited about all of it (I loved being pampered, lol). It wasn't any less spiritual because I knew what was happening, but it still would have been very, very cool to have been surprised by it all. I'll never really have that experience, of actually being able to be surprised, but that's all they are trying to do. Let people be surprised, it's really much more fun that way. If you really want to know EVERYTHING that happens and all the secrets and surprises, someone will tell you, but it just spoils all the fun.

Again...three days. Only three days. No outside contact...but for three days. No wandering the premises...but for three days. After that you are VERY ENCOURAGED to go back to your own church, your own family, your own friends, your own life, and serve them.

Gordon51b

Post Number: 152

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 01:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sogj,
Your post was very interesting and convincing but it seems to be somewhat superficial. I think if the readers would read this "Center for Apologetics Research" report, they would get an unbiased view of Tres Dias and a better insight as to what they may be presented with if they attend on of these three day meetings.

Here is the address of the aboved mentioned report.

http://apologetika.ru/pdfs/td_eng.pdf

Gordon

Sogj

Post Number: 5

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2010 - 09:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Superficial? Because I'm talking about something that involves the heart rather than the mind? I spent my whole life in biblical study and knew all the answers to all the questions. What is lacking in religion and spirituality today is not more answers. Our God is an emotional God and our hearts and emotions bear witness to this. It's not superficial to feel overwhelming emotion toward Christ. There is more to Christ than knowing about Him.

I only had time to skim that link (dinner and kids to bed) but I have a couple of replies:

1. Apologetics and theology don't really apply because Tres Dias isn't a church or a denomination and takes decidedly neutral positions in terms of much theology and doctrine. They believe the basics of the faith, basically the Apostle's Creed, but they don't take any issues outside of that and they don't on purpose. We aren't a church, a denomination, or a religion, nor do we seek to be. So in issues of theology you won't find an answer in Tres Dias and we don't try to answer those questions, they are for your individual churches.

2. I see a lot of concern about things I have alrady addressed: Elitism is not sactioned by Tres Dias and we are seeking more and more to make it clear that people shouldn't act like that; Secrecy is not cult-like but just because there are surprises; Sequestered lifestyle is only for three days and we are certainly not the only retreat in the world that asks people to remove their watches or cell phones for a weekend; Part of the point of the weekend is to overwhem people with love, yes, but it's to point them toward Christ, not get them to join or donate money.

This was written in 2001 and much has changed in the organization to combat misconceptions such as those presented here.

But I am still wondering what you mean by my post was "superficial." I'm pretty sure I addressed every question that was asked. What was superficial?

Gordon51b

Post Number: 153

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 01:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sogj,
It is not because of the heart that I said that your Tres Dias post info was superficial, it was because of the mind changing properties of the Tres Dias program and how those properties were sorta glossed over.

As I understand God, He is not an emotional God, he is a loving God and He responds to mankind in a loving manner not an emotional manner. This sentence that you posted: "Our God is an emotional God and our hearts and emotions bear witness to this.", seems to me to have come directly out of the teachings of Tres Dias because this is a twisted teaching and it, to me, is what a Tres Dias student is going to be subjected to and they will not know the difference.

You say Tres Dias is only three days and then you are encouraged to intergrate into your own personal church. Sogj, this is to me, a scary concept. Are you telling us that Tres Dias teaches you a philosophy in three days and then encourage you to intergrate it into your church. I don't think so and if I were a church minister, I would cut this idea off at the roots.

I believe that Tres Dias is akin to the Pied Piper and you are the lemmings being led to the sea, ie; let to concepts outside the will of God.

Take care,
Gordon

Sogj

Post Number: 6

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gordon,

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, I guess, about God being emotional. He's incredibly emotional. The Bible is written by Him and is frought with emotion. Love, hate, anger, jealousy, mercy, grace, forgiveness, joy, compassion. The decision to die on the Cross was not one made with His head. He chases, He pursues, He wars, He feels. Deeply. We were made in His image and we are emotional beings because He is an emotional being. He is not some empty shell "doing the right thing" because it's His duty. It is more than His duty. It is His desire. Desire is emotive. I guess there's no "arguing" this point, it's not a Tres Dias thing, it's not a Tres Dias concept. Without being overly dramatic, I think that saying that God doesn't respond to us emotionally is like spitting in His face. The Bible uses extremely strong, emotive language that could not have been written by a stoic, unfeeling being who is reacting to mankind with some ethereal sense of responsibility or choice.

Tres Dias doesn't teach a philosophy. I really honestly have no idea what else to say, since I've already said that and feel kind of dumb repeating myself. I don't really care if you like Tres Dias or not, if you go or not, it has no bearing on salvation. Members of the Tres Dias community are encouraged to "integrate" by serving their church, by being active in ministry in their church community, by ministering to the poor and needy, by reading their Bibles, by praying, and by communing with God daily. If this "philosophy" offends you, there's not much more to say on the subject because we will simply disagree. Tres Dias does nothing more than try to get people to be Jesus with skin on. If this is some revolutionary concept that makes people think it's a cult, we're just going to have to disagree, I guess.

From the way that you post, it seems like you know a lot about God, about theology, and have a lot of head knowledge. I have yet to hear you speak of things like yearning to know Him, enjoying Him, delighting in Him. All these are emotions and you seem to take a very stoic view of God, to the point that you don't believe He's an emotional God. I understand this view, I just happen to not agree with it. And that's not because of Tres Dias, but I don't expect you to believe that.

Really, I'm not trying to argue some deep theological truth here, I don't care if I get believed or not, you can take or leave what I say. It really doesn't matter to me, I just wanted to offer a different perspective. Again, Tres Dias isn't going to make or break salvation for anyone. It's not a salvation issue. I feel my heart breaking reading your post because of the way you describe the Christ I know, who weeps with those who weep, out of sorrow and compassion not duty; who rejoices with those who rejoice, out of delight and happiness, not duty. You speak of philosophy and theology and are just trying to put a lot more at the feet of Tres Dias then is meant to go there. We don't teach theology or philosophy. We teach Love, really. That's just about it. The whole point of the weekend is for the team members to overwhelm and shower Christ's love on those who come. Really. That's it. Seriously. The end. Reading any more into it is just looking for drama that simply doesn't exist.

Sogj

Post Number: 7

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 04:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Also...what mind changing properties did I gloss over? I seriously don't have an answer because I seriously don't understand how this has turned into such a huge deal. The most highly trained psychological warriors in the world can't brainwash someone in 3 days and trust me, we aren't even close to trying to brainwash anyone. Everything that was mentioned I addressed. I don't think I glossed anything over. You are speaking very vaguely and I would love it if you would ask specific questions because I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Sogj

Post Number: 8

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 05:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From my hubs:

1. No cult that I'm aware of has only three days of indoctrination, after which they send you out of isolation, and require nothing else from you ever.
2. No cult that I'm aware of teaches the gospel of Jesus' atoning sacrifice without changing something, adding something, or removing something.
3. No cult that I'm aware of has it's members pay good money to serve new indocrinees, and ask for nothing in return from the indoctrinees.
4. No cult that I'm aware of has as it's expressed aim to raise up leaders for the churches people are ALREADY involved in, and sends them BACK to those churches to INCREASE their preexisting involvement.

CONCERN: Sequestering is a method of manipulation.
RESPONSE: When Jesus walked with his apostles, he occasionally took them to secluded places, so they could focus on the spiritual and not be distracted by the earthly. I'm not aware that any of them complained about not having their cell phones or watches.

CONCERN: Para-churches are not scriptural.
RESPONSE: Luke 9:50 - "Do not stop him," Jesus said, "for whoever is not against you is for you." Hebrews says not to forsake the assembling together, therefore if a Christian organization does not take people away from the church, and it bears a fruitful ministry in the name of Jesus, it is to be commended, not criticized.

CONCERN: Some have said they've had bad experiences.
RESPONSE: Jesus said to "beware of men." As the churches in the New Testament were subject to corruption, false doctrine, and sinful infiltration, so is any ministry run by men.

CONCERN: Everything is too structured.
RESPONSE: Any time a religious organization develops structure, that structure can turn into legalism, and eventually metastasize into fundamentalist dogma. This doesn't mean that structure is bad, it just means that like anything else we do as humans, it must be utilized with prayer and humility. 1 Corinthians 15 says that even Holy Spirit-lead worship is to be ordered, and not just run by impulse.}

Gordon51b

Post Number: 154
Posted From: h153.239.88.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net

Rating: 

Posted on Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - 07:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soji
God does all the things that you mentioned out of love, not out of emotions. Have you given any thought at all to whether you want an emotional God or a loving God. God is love, God is not emotion.

Soji, why dom't you start reading the article that I recommended at this paragraph, "The Tres Dias Experience" and read it unto the end of the entire article. You will find a short disseration on soft brainwashing which you will find out that a person can be easily brainwashed in three days.

Tres Dias is a three day philosophy and encourages the planting of Catholic philosophy in mainstream non-catholic churches.

BTW is there not three aspects to Tres Dias such as pre-weekend, three day weekend and fourth day. I do not think you have totally opened up to the readers about the truth of what Tres Dias really is all about.

I don't think that you will be able to fool anyone on this discussion board.

take care
gordon

Mln

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 09:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have enjoyed reading this discussion and I just wanted to say that I appreciate both of you for commenting. Soji, you are right, people can certainly mess up well intended plans and I did not judge Tres Dias on my experience alone. I have a very good friend, also my sponsor, who is active as you are. Also, my husband and I are in a small group with very active Walk To Emmaus participants. What I have observed, is similar to what was being discussed in the article that Gordon posted. Not having any experience with cults, I am not on high alert to tactics that would mimic cultish practices. But I can certainly understand those whose radar is attuned to such practices. My only comment about this is that all those I know involved in TD or WTE are so convinced of it's goodness and value to the Christian, they cannot or will not hear concerns like these. I'm not lumping you, Soji, into that category because I do not know you. But anytime, for any reason, we even think we might be stepping outside of scriptural authority, we should RUN to the Word to check it out.

I cannot imagine that our Lord formatted His three year ministry on earth anything like TD or WTE. It's certainly not in the scriptures. If He were physically walking along side you right now, a member of your TD team, how do you think He would respond to all of the things in my post, your post, Gordon's post, the article Gordon sited, etc.? That's all I'm saying. We have freedom in the body of Christ but that freedom has boundaries. It will never serve us well to think our opinion of a deed or action is perfectly "ok", if it does not stand up to the Word of God. And I'm not talking about trying to make our plans "fit" somewhere in scripture. I'm talking about submitting our plans to God in the first place. Doing it His way, His example, His opinion.

Surrender is the hardest thing for all of us. It is a constant battle and an everyday task. All I'm asking you to do Soji, is next time you are working on a weekend, ask the Lord if each part of the weekend, each talk, each exercise, each concept that you are planning, do they find their authority in scripture? To be Christlike is to do it like He did. I love your heart for God. It is a blessing to read, that's for sure. But since we serve a God that we know going into it, doesn't think like we do, neither are His ways like ours, we must then be very careful to adopt who He is and not just assume it's who we're thinking He is.

When you study the OT, you get a very clear distinction of the inaccurate gospel that's being spread in this generation. God IS love but Gordon is right, agape is an action, not an emotion. Agape struck Uzzah dead, although Uzzah had good intentions. Agape gave orders to slaughter women and children, even though we cannot imagine God telling us to do that. Agape instructed King Hezekiah to tear down the bronze serpent because people had started bowing to it and burning incense at the base of it. This was their innocent way to worship also and the bronze serpent was the OT foreshadow of the cross. A new couple to the faith, Ananias and Sapphira told a lie and both lost their lives for it immediately. When I read all of this, I marvel at how the scripture rings true, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways". We serve a holy God. We serve Him with all of our hearts (emotion), soul (minds), body (will), and strength. Yet we yield our human(ness) to His transformation process. And hopefully, we end up with attributes that do not look earthly.

I respect both of your opinions and certainly defend the right to disagree. However, in disagreeing, we are not in unity which is certainly not what's best for the body of Christ. I will commit this to the Lord and to His word and think about the answers you gave to all of these concerns. I hope you will too and maybe we will see the work of the Holy Spirit on this forum. That would be incredible wouldn't it?

blessings,
M

Sogj

Post Number: 9

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again :-)

Um, Gordon, I'm not trying to "fool" anyone. Yes, there are 3 stages. The preweekend consists of praying to make sure you're really supposed to be there. The weekend consists of the weekend, which we've been talking about, and the 4th day consists of hanging out, eating food, and talking, about topics ranging from football to eternity. So I really have no idea what you mean by Tres Dias is trying to force Catholic tradition on churches. It's not...at all. I'm sorry, I can't react to this sentence because I don't know what you're talking about. My church doesn't and never has practiced any catholic traditions and I didn't bring any back with me...except communion, but we've always done that the same way and I am in no way pressured or even was it suggested to me to change it.

Again, we're just going to have to disagree on the emotional thing. Of course agape is a choice, and an action. But that doesn't mean it's devoid of emotion. I just got done reading the first few chapters of Jeremiah and I can't read that without feeling the incredible emotion of the speaker, who is God. I never said His actions were GOVERNED by emotion. I said he reacts to us out of emotion. Like a husband who brings his wife flowers out of an overflow of affection instead of out of a conscious choice to do something to make her feel better. Both are good, and I know when my husband and I fight and he doesn't FEEL like loving me but still does in this way it is good and Godly. But that doesn't mean that's how he should and always does react. Many times he reacts to me out of an overflow of emotion THAT IS love. And yes, I truly believe this, and no, I'm not a lemming being led to suicide because I believe God loves me with all His heart and not just all His strength.

I guess I can't really say anything else about Tres Dias not being a three day philosophy that encourages Catholic practices. It's just not. I mean, there's no argument to be made here, you can either believe me or not. Who knows, maybe you know some people who were in a different chapter and they do try to bring back catholic practices or whatever, but our chapter doesn't and to my knowledge has never done that and I've been involved for over a decade. So there's nothing really more to say on the subject, you can either believe me or not, I'm not trying to "fool" anyone, it's simply not true. We don't try to bring back ANY PRACTICES to our churches except the practice of ministry to our church, to our community, and to our brothers and sisters in Christ. That's it. There's no other practices being even suggested.

Again, I don't really care if any of you believe me or not because salvation is not in Tres Dias and Tres Dias has nothing to do with salvation. It's a moot issue. I really don't care, take it or leave it, I guess I'm really just trying to understand where all this misinformation is coming from. I've been trying to avoid the word "lie" because it's harsh, but this stuff simply isn't true.

Min, I like you. I would like to make it clear, though, that I'm not "not hearing" concerns like this. Instead, I am asking for something to back them up besides just words. I can't find anything. I'd like to find someone who can give me specific examples and no one can, it's all just vague fears. I'm not going to base any spiritual decision on vague fears.

I get what you're saying about the old testament, but at the same time, I don't really understand how it applies to Tres Dias or me. I'm a big John Piper and Ray Comfort fan. I believe in the cost of grace and I believe in the necessity of repentance. I also believe that God hates sin just as strongly as He loves us, that sin angers Him just as much as obedience pleases Him (emotions, I know, you don't believe God is emotional, but I do, the evidence is overwhelming to me.) Tres Dias didn't make God out to be some pacifist. I guess I don't know what else to say here because I'm not quite sure why that paragraph was inserted.

I guess I kind of wish I really knew what each of you were thinking or had been told or what your experiences have been. Maybe your chapter is really significantly different than mine and that's a real possibility, we are almost autonomous. But I read your posts (Min and Gordon) and I almost have no idea how what you're saying relates to Tres Dias. I can't make the connection between what you're saying and why it makes Tres Dias a bad thing. Jesus didn't format his ministry like the tres dias weekend, but the Fourth Day Community is very much modeled after Acts. It's just a body of believers who come together for encouragement (and food, lol...lots of food), to worship and lift each other up every couple of months to remind ourselves to go back to our own churches and serve our pastors, our congregations, our brothers and sisters, and our community in a way that exemplifies Christ. Because we aren't a church we aren't *exactly* modeled like Acts, but as close as a parachurch organization can be.

And Gordon, that's all the 4th Day is. There's no indoctrination. There's no horrifying revelations that continue to happen. When I hang out with friends from Tres Dias, it's "So how's your time with Jesus going," and "I remember we were praying about your friend how is she doing?" and "Oh, look at your kids, they are getting so big!" and "Anyone want more cake?" Seriously, that's it. So I don't know what the big deal about "Fourth Day" is, which is why I guess I'm going to be pretty useless to answering your questions because I don't understand how they relate to Tres Dias at all.

Let me make it very clear: I am not trying to "fool" anybody. I don't care if you come or not. Take it or leave it. If God tells you to stay away, it's obviously not for you. This isn't like Jesus where you have no other option. Having an "I attended Tres Dias" badge isn't going to get you a closer seat in the throne room. IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER. I'm not trying to pull any wool over anyone's eyes, because there's no wool to pull. Believe what you want about Tres Dias, it's not going to affect your salvation and as long as you are walking in love toward your brothers and sisters in Christ, it won't affect your walk with God one way or another.

:-)
amber

Gordon51b

Post Number: 155

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soji,
If Tres Dias is fine with your pastor, then so be it. I am in disagreement and I am going to leave it at that.
Gordon

Mln

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 02:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Amber, I can tell you would make a great lawyer,....defense lawyer that is. lol Please understand that I am not speaking from hearsay but from personal experience. We will just have to respectfully disagree for now. But I just wanted to say that the most important "take away" from my posts, both of them, is to encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ, whom I do care about, (even if I don't know you) to walk according to biblical authority. If Jesus didn't model it for us or one of the inspired writers didn't model it for us, we sure better be checking scripture to see if we're doing it according to God's thoughts and ways, not ours.

I hope you are encouraged and uplifted to do that as your passion for God has encouraged all of us reading this post. May we all walk in unity and truth someday. It would be a different world if we did.

Gordon51b

Post Number: 156
Posted From: h203.146.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 08:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Soji
Why was Tres Dias created. By whom was it created. If it was truly created by the Catholic Church, why is it necessary for them to supposedly try to convert other dominations to this type of belief. Why does it not just simply stay in the arena of the Catholic Church. One last thing, reading your posts is like a written teaching on Tres Dias. Are you a Tres Dias teacher, instructor or a Tres Dias staffer.
Take care

Gordon

Sadone
Username: Sadone

Posted From: cpe-67-250-112-8.hvc.res.rr.com

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2010 - 03:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My experience with Tres Dias has been very difficult. The secrecy has caused problems in trying to restore trust with my spouse who was unfaithful in the past. I was told that this was a men only weekend then several women I had considered friends told me that they really had enjoyed my spouses testimony and watching the changes in him over the weekend. When I reacted and asked why I wasnt able to participate I was told I had control issues and was having a temper tantrum becuse I couldnt understand why they were allowed to be there. I was told I wasnt invited because I hadnt yet made my weekend. My husband was encouraged to betray me again by sharing his heart with these women while being advised not to share anything with me! I am feeling so alone, abandoned and manipulated. I am going on my weekend next week and hope that these former trusted friends sense of entitlement and superiority dont totally turn me from christianity or furthur damage my very fragile marriage.

Iamac
Username: Iamac

Posted From: 126.sub-75-218-232.myvzw.com

Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found this forum today when researching Tres Dias. I was associated with a Christian & Missionary Alliance church in PA. The pastor and most members of the church were extremely involved with Tres Dias. I was new to this church and had my public "saved" experience there, but then we had to move and I didn't attend this church regularly until about a year later. It was then that the pastor very aggressively pushed Tres Dias on me. I told him that I would pray about whether or not I should attend. Then the other church members started recruiting me aggressively for the next Tres Dias weekend, to which I also replied that I would pray about it. Quite a few started nagging me. I felt I had plenty of time to pray and receive a response, as the weekend retreat was about 3 months away.
I received a NO answer from the Lord about attending Tres Dias. My, did I ever get negative feedback on that! Seriously, it almost became a regular public debate at the church, on how the Lord could ever say no to Tres Dias! I was questioned on whether or not I really heard from the Lord, and maybe it was me that didn't really want to go.
The pressure kept up until a few weeks before the Tres Dias weekend but I stood firm on obeying the Lord's will for me. It was during this experience that I came to see how deeply this church was involved in all of Tres Dias' funtions, and how those who had attended Tres Dias were favored over those who did not attend.
This C&MA church was/is a charismatic church. One of the topics for conversation among the membership during the time that I was being pressured to attend Tres Dias was whether or not I could have a strong, personal relationship and encounter with God WITHOUT ever attending a Tres Dias weekend. !!!! Yes, that is a true statement and seems unbelievable. I assure you, I write the truth and have a few witnesses who heard these conversations.
I have never known a pastor to be so involved with something like Tres Dias and I was trying to find information on the internet today as to whether or not the pastors are given monetary incentives to promote candidates. I haven't found anything yet, but the info on the discussion board has helped a lot. Tres Dias is a closed, secretive society, and I believe I will only find this information available if someone leaves or turns away from their Tres Dias connection(s).
Some of the comments here have mentioned an "elitist" view held by Tres Dias adherents. I agree with those statements, based on my own personal knowledge of church members/Tres Dias graduates. I find it interesting that part of the three day program at Tres Dias is showering love bombs on candidates. What hypocrisy! Aren't we supposed to exude love to all, especially toward those related to us in the faith? Yes, indeed we are! Yet I experienced somewhat of a disfellowshipping/excommunication experience when they couldn't get me to attend Tres Dias.
Thanks for the opportunity of posting here.
I want to emphasize that the reason I believe that there is some monetary incentive for Tres Dias leaders is that, in my experience with various ministers and ministries, the underlying factor of many legalistic and cult-like practices has been and continues to be financial gain.

Awitness

Post Number: 4579
Posted From: c-76-127-26-147.hsd1.tn.comcast.net

Posted on Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Iamac,
Thank you for posting and sharing your personal experiance. I am sure it will help someone searching in the same way that you were, when you found our site. We do not need any organizations help to enter into the presence of God.
Favoritism,seceracy and the pressure you experienced is wrong and should be red flags to more folks.
Belva

Owl
Username: Owl

Post Number: 1419
Posted From: 24-247-68-28.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com

Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 03:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a very dear friend associated with this function although it wasn't called tres dias. To put it bluntly, I would stay away from it. If for no other reason, the less mumbo jumbo we bring with us when communing with God, the better able we are to see just Him (and He, us). If anyone is interested in details, I'd be happy to supply. Meanwhile, it's good to see new names here. Please stay around. BTW: When I was a little kid and my mother taught me to count to ten in Latin, tres was the word for the number 3 and dias, the number 10. Any relationship, I wonder? Can't think of any that makes sense tho that certainly doesn't rule out the possibility.

Owl

Momof5
Username: Momof5

Posted From: adsl-179-183-135.sav.bellsouth.net

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok so i've been sitting here reading this and i kinda dont know what to say. i am a member of the tres dias community and i'm kinda floored that some of yall think its cult-like. what would you like to know? I'll tell you any thing you wanna know. as sogi has said, the only reason that we dont just come out and tell everybody everything is because it changes from weekend to weekend. for instance when i went through like 10 yrs ago my weekend was the first weekend they started dedicating "misscarried" or "aborted" babies. now i think they do just about on every weekend but its up to whoever is leading the weekend. you can become a leader for the weekend after you have worked in the required areas, like kitchen, gopher (the one who gets things from the store, and who takes the person to get ready thats going to give their testimony), asst head and head (they help keep everyone on the time schedule or take the leaders place if they were to get sick or something) and then give a talk (your testimony). then there's other positions like dorm (they help keep the dorms clean and make sure the lights are out when it time to go to bed and wake up in the morning) there's a prayer team and they pray the whole time for the ppl going through and pray for the ones giving their testimony. oh and there's pastors, there usually like three of them and they give their testimonies and talk about things like marriage and living as a christian. i think thats about it as far as the ppl there working. i have worked 4 times since when i went through and havent "taken" anything to my church in fact me and my parents i think are the only ones who have gone through at our church and i've been there my whole life, 31 yrs. i kinda find it hilarious really, all the comments about Catholicism. because there is in NO way any kind "catholic" practices. in fact there's not really any kind of specific doctrine there at all. I've met baptist, methodists, pentecosts, nazarenes, and more i'm sure. tres dias wasnt started by the catholic church the other one was, cursillo i think someone called it. which i hadn't heard til i came to this site. and i would like to say that with anything you can get a "radical" if you will. and for ppl who have been mistreated in some way at a tres dias weekend i am truly sorry because that is NOT what it is about. its not about control or anything. its about having three day to spend getting closer to God without the distractions of life.
i would like to add my brother was delivered from smoking on a tres dias weekend that he was working so i'm not sure how that fits into your cult-like theory.

Kaybird
Username: Kaybird

Posted From: c-76-97-58-227.hsd1.ga.comcast.net

Rating: 

Posted on Monday, February 06, 2012 - 07:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not ALL cults have ALL these signs; this is a collaboration of some of things I myself have concluded upon exposure to these false prophets:
1. THIS IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH: They deny the divinity of Christ and exalt man's divinity. Tres Dias exhausts the divinity of Christ!
2. They distort the scriptures, leading to their destruction. The antichrist is said to "go to destruction" (Rev 17:11)
3. They prey on innocent minds (those who are not learned in the scriptures). This is one of the main reasons you must sponsored to attend a Tres Dias Weekend. To be a candidate you MUST already have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ! This is not a retreat for a conversion experience. It is to grow leaders in the church.
4. They have ONE leader that founded their doctrine; some even say an angel appeared to their leader to give him the "right interpretation" of the Bible. One I know of is re-writing the Bible into the Concordant Literal Translation (CLT)...still a work-in-progress. The LEADER on the weekend is a lay person. They can only lead one time. The format used for the weekend is very ridged so that faults teaching do not get into the weekend.
5. This ONE leader’s interpretation of scripture is typically published in a book, books, magazines/study guides, or even a website of their one "teacher". The less one actually picks up the Bible, the more dangerous it is. There is not Tres Dias book, magazine, study guide, etc. The spiritual leaders, who are ordained ministers, use the Bible and only the Bible. Participants do not need their Bibles only because the weekend is so packed but most everyone does have one.
6. Their leader's prophecies do not come true; therefore, the prophecy is changed. God "changes His mind" several times. There are no prophecy’s given by the leaders.
7. They are focused on works and/or rituals in order to "earn their way" into God's favor, or pay Him back for saving them. The whole focus of the weekend is God’s GRACE and how Jesus is the Gift God sent for us to receive that GRACE.
8. They consider the 144,000 elect of their particular doctrine or church. Never mentioned on the weekend. This is a matter of church doctrine not Tres Dias. Tres Dias is NOT a doctrine. It is a Christian spiritual growth weekend.
9. They don’t associate with those outside of their church’s beliefs and practices. The whole point of the weekend is to inspire people to go out and spread the love the GOD through Jesus Christ. Yes we have gatherings that are for people who have only attended a three day movement (Tres Dias, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo, etc.). It is called fellowship! Why are others excluded, because we want to talk about the surprises (secrets) that happen on a weekend. There are only two things we do not want you to know about. It would be like opening your Christmas presents when no one is around and then having to act like you’re surprised on Christmas morning.
10. Their church demands money from them. You are NEVER asked for money! You pay a fee to attend the weekend. (It does cost to feed, board and transport people. Even the people working pay the same fee. Yes they pay to work! Why, they love Jesus and they want you to know how much Jesus loves you. Why, so you will love others like Jesus loves you.

I will admit that some of the negative comments on this blog are true. In the community I serve in we are trying hard to change these things. If someone is sick, we try to be as accommodating as possible. The reason we try so hard for attendees not to miss a talk is because each talk builds on the next. In addition, there is a lot going on behind the scenes to help make the weekend special. The location we have is small and does not allow for a lot of wondering around without seeing what is going on in another area. The point is to focus on chapel when you are in chapel, dinner when you are at dinner and talks when you are in the lecture room.
The weekends ARE very controlled environments! This is because a LOT is packed into a short weekend. There is schedule that we try very hard to stick to. This is out of respect for the attendees and volunteers time. Yes we prohibit cell phones, watches, electronics, etc. because you there to escape the outside world and focus on what God has for you. All of these things only draw you away from the weekend. In addition, the weekends are cloistered. The speakers on the weekend give their personal testimony as it relates to the subject they are presenting. (Leader in the Church, Church in Action, Study, etc.) These are often very personal and raw. Remember, we were not always Christians and even as Christians we are not perfect. These testimonies are about how God grows us. This is one of the reasons three day communities are so close.
Tres Dias, and all other three day movements, are NOT churches or denominations. Attendees are strongly encourage to make it their church but to back to their church and serve as you have been served on the weekend.
Ties to the Catholic Church comes from the first three day movement Cursillo. The purpose was to teach people how to live the Christian life. Maybe all churches should get back to that. Anyway, the other movements are biased on the same outline but the talk on the Sacraments, given by a clergy leader not a lay leader, is adapted to the doctrine of the different denominations. (Cusillo –Catholic, Walk to Emmaus – Methodist, Tres Dias – Baptist or Church of God)
Yes I have heard the “I am better than you because I have been to..”, all I can say is these people just do not get it. Then there is the “You NEED to attend.”, giving the impression that something is wrong with your Christian walk. How about this, “You DESERVE to attend because everyone should experience this kind of unconditional love and service at least once in their life.”
Kaybird

Thetruth
Username: Thetruth

Posted From: 205.132.129.125

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truth about Tres Diaz (Part 1) I am an Ordained Christian Minister who was invited by a women to go to Tres Diaz for what she said was a weekend retreat Tres Diaz to have a deeper relationship with God. The retreat was the following week. Who wouldn’t want to do that! I really didn’t find too much information online, other than it appeared to be Christian and positive. I agreed to go. She provided me a form explaining she would be my sponsor. It is your sponsor’s job to pick you up at home to carry your bags in. How nice I thought. I hadn’t realized that she would NOT be attending. She did not tell me that until we were inside. She said I’d be so happy and that the women she was leaving me with were going to be a real treat. I asked her what it was going to be like, but if you ask any direct question to her or anyone once you’re there, your told not to anticipate only participate. You’re told to stay in the moment and let all things go. After the sponsors are gone, you’re asked to tell your name, something about your family, job, & a hobby/interest. Once each person has a round of introduction, you are literally told to be in silence. You will have no connection to a clock/time/cell phone. You can NOT contact anyone. You follow in silence up the staircase to a grim gray hallway with a row of doors. Each person goes into a secluded bleak room with a narrow twin bed, flat pillow and a sink (no bathroom) with white walls. You’re instructed that in the morning you will receive three knocks on your door. Of course you will have no idea what time that will be, but I can tell you it is extremely early. My best guess is 5:45am. You are also told to have your name tag, a pilgrim prayer book. You remain in your room until then. On knock one – you wake up. Around 5 mins later on knock two you should be on your feet. About 30mins go by before third knock and then you must be outside of your room. Remaining in silence, you nod to their check list of questions. Each candidate waits until all arrive and forms a line following in silence to a chapel. (Continued)

Thetruth

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truth about Tres- Diaz – Part 2 (Community showers are located at the end of the hallway. You do have curtain for privacy).
In the chapel, those sitting to the left recite from the Pilgrim prayer book what is typed bolded letter A; those sitting to the right recite what’s bolded in letter B. This goes on each morning and night.
First in rank, it is lead by an Administer, who under her direction has subordinates referred to as Aux(s). They are her helpers who wear flowered aprons and control you and the weekend. The Administer also has a Director. There were two ministers present – who were blessed. Next ranking down are team leaders called Rollisters. Their job is to carry out the genealogy of the tradition in forum to gain your participation. Lastly there is you, the candidates (who must be sponsored). Your sponsor picks you up, leaves you there and returns at the end so there isn’t a way for you to drive home on your own if you decide you don’t like it.
During the days you are broken into “table” groups. You remain with that group who is now your community for the duration of the three days. To create a clear description for you, the room is now set up with a board room style table on the side of the room. This table seats the Administrator, her Aux members, the Director and two pastors. Within the room are circular table seating. Depending on the table you are assigned to, that table now becomes your community, which consists of 6 people (2 Rollisters and 4 candidates per community). Each community is named and you remain within your community each day. At the front of the room is a podium. Rollisters will go to the podium and provide all the communities a microphone speech. They give testimonies of their lives on topics of Grace, Obstacles to Grace, Piety, Study, Action, etc, while the candidates take notes on what the speaker is talking about. After each Rollister is finished, each table/community discusses their notes together and comes up with a creative idea of how to draw what they heard on a poster. This goes on throughout the day, one Rollister after the other until they are finished for the day. Sometime later on that night, it is the table communities turn to pick two people from the each table to go to the podium and share their notes with the entire room. This happens the entire day each day. I will say that the Rollisters talks were not questionable and were well done. Being part of a table/community, I did share in meaningful discussion within my community. The first day, I also did go the podium once to report notes of our community which is required. The day two, the topic was the Bible. Our community once more discussed the topic given by the Rollister. The girls at our community table asked me the importance knowing of scripture and learned quite a bit, but when it came time to share our discussion on podium, the Administrator would not let me. She would not let me speak completely blocking talk of the “WORD”. The leaders told me to discuss what I was going to say and see if the Administrator would give me permission and approve what I was going to speak of. So I did. She said NO and that it would make sense me later – okay? I looked her in the eyes and asked how she could prevent me from teaching what the Holy Spirit is telling me to say. How could she? I was having a hard time with this as I wanted to respect her position within the organization. She said she’d pray for me. I felt deeply disturbed by this! Especially being a Christian Minister. It was extremely suspect to prevent me or anyone for that matter sharing the importance of scripture in the Bible. I certainly was not going to take long and I told the Administrator this. It would not have interfered with her schedule whatsoever, since each community was supposed to share. For that matter she seemed to have let other communities speak longer. I sat with tears in my eyes. The girls at my community table were upset for me and so were some of the other girls who were able to catch snip bits of conversation with me. I say snip bits because and you are heavily monitored.
(Continued)

Thetruth

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truth about Tres Diaz (Part 3) During meal times you sit until an AUX gives permission for your table to approach the buffet. You do not all get up at once. Sometimes you sit in silence with your hands folded in good behavior and other times you are allowed to talk. Somehow they think this is funny. You need permission to attend the bathroom and usually there is someone monitoring you are within ear range. There is no form of exercise or freedom at all.
There are times you sing songs for their song book. De Colors – it is their theme song.
(The weather outside was gorgeous, sunny and 80 degrees. The institution was situation on the Hudson River. We went outside to take a group photo. Some of the girls wanted to have the talks outside, but the Administrator did not allow it. We weren’t allowed outside.)
The days began around 5:45am and end around 12midnight.
There was a 76yr old candidate woman who used a cane to walk. The days were too long for her and she was not feeling good by evening and wanted to go to her room. We were told to make a parade and sing when the Saints Go Marching In. The women really did not want to go it, she was so tired and I stopped to speak with her. The AUX refused for me to talk to her and demanded me to go as they would take care of her. We all paraded into a candlelit room where we stood around the parameter of long table. Before each setting was a glass of white grape juice. The Administrator took the head of the table and advised us to link arms with the person to next us and say Shalom and sip the grape juice. We walked around the room in circular motion until you have Shalom(ed) each person. The elderly women became so nauseous and sick doing this late at night in a dim room. Why she couldn’t go to her room as asked seemed cruel. When we finally circled the room and walked out, I noticed the sick women with two AUX exiting the ladies room and I stopped to see how she was. She told me she had been throwing up. They still did not take her to her room. They sat her in the hallway as the rest of us marched into the chapter for their talk on forgiveness. Once more I stopped to talk to the women. Two AUX’s surrounded me and told me to follow in line. Their tones were low but forceful. I told them that I am an adult who can decide for myself if I so choose to speak with her. There were very dominant and more than stern. I asked where their compassion was. They said they were compassionate people and they would handle it. There was no respect to me, nor did they remotely understand to see my compassion in wanting to help the women. I was shuffled to the chapel to hear a talk on forgiveness. Once more they brought the women into the front rows of the chapel instead of bringing her to her room. An Aux sat on each side of her. Needless to say, she was still nauseas and gagging and was brought outside of the chapel. Again, they still did not take her to her room. Instead they, brought her back into the chapel again, and seated her in the last row sandwiched between two Aux(s). This was heartbreaking. It exemplified the behavior of the Pharisees who put the rule first. Jesus healed on the Sabbath. They do not relate to this. Their control is not breakable and I wanted to leave as their talks on forgiveness, grace and the love of God were not applied to me or this women. We were held there to repeat the typed print in the Pilgrim book for the evening and finally very late evening the Administer sternly said good night and dismissed us to our rooms. I stopped into see the sick women. So did a few of the other candidates. She told us that she was okay and didn’t want to cause a problem for anyone. I headed toward my room when another candidate (one of the girls who roomed next door to mine) quietly came into my room and we spoke in a low whisper. There was a knock on my door. I opened the door a sliver and saw three more candidates (women who were attending) and motioned them to come in. All of us were very upset about what happened. One of the girls was a youth leader in her church. She was starving to return you her home church and didn’t feel the presents of the holy spirit in the Administrator. The girls wanted to tie sheets together and make an escape. They wanted to leave. One was a mother of 5 and could not call her children. Their sponsor also told them nothing about this. My sponsor also did not tell me and now I discovered that no one’s sponsor told them. I must say I wanted to leave as well. They asked me for guidance. I truly stopped to think about it. I could not honestly tell them whether to stay or go, nor did I think that the behavior of the Administrator would change. I did not know if God had something planned ahead that they may hear in a different way because the Rollister’s talks were sincere, but the environment and control were “OFF.” Could the administer have the holy spirit? To me it didn’t seem so, but I will not judge. If so, she must have been over riding him with her free will (flesh) and control. It was brutal. (Continued)

Thetruth

Rating: 

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 03:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostPrint Post   Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The truth about Tres Diaz (Part 4) The girls and I got in agreement and prayed together. We thought it best to take this to the Pastor attending. She asked us what our sponsors told us and that’s the problem, the sponsors don’t tell you its cloister. The table communities are clusters within the Cloister. We all wanted to leave, but she was certainly one of the good ones and we stuck it out through the night and decided to wait until the morning to make a decision as it would be our last day and it was already the wee hours of morning as it was.
At this point I was curious to see how the entire process plays itself out. You basically attend morning chapel, go to breakfast, have another talk, do lunch and then have time after that to go back to your room to change into Sunday clothes, strip your bed sheets and towels to be placed in hallways and pack up your belongings. You’re left in the gray hallway for a length of time for them to get you and take you to a room with chairs set in rows. It was the one last talk given by the administrator on the podium. When she was in finished, the tow Pastor join her in the front of the room and called each candidate one at a time to go up to them. They say God is counting on you. You bow your head while they place a stringed wooded cross over your head. Then you respond & I’m counting on God. After each candidate is through with this ceremony, you’re lined up and lead back to the chapel singing their De Colores theme song. When you reach the chapel, this time it’s full of people who have gone through this before. It’s packed with Tres Diaz former communities and your sponsors. They’re clapping and chanting the same song to celebrate you now being something what I think is called a “Pompadours.” You’re now officially a member of their “court” basically. There is another ceremony and at the end the newly made “pompadours” line up similarly to a wedding party line where each former Tres Diaz community congratulates you. It’s about 6:30pm on the last day before all is completed and your sponsors can take you back home.
The purpose of me writing this is to give the truth and full story of what takes place so you can make an informed decision before attending Tres Diaz. I found that no sponsor disclosed what fully takes place and it’s up to you to decide.
Is it a cult? Absolutely
Can people come to know God this way? Yes, mainly through the testimonies give by their Rollisters.
Do people bond? Yes
Would people who don’t know God or even people who do Know God feel like running for the hills? – YES and many do.
Can I counsel you on attending or not? No - only for the reason that some do grow in relationship with the lord attending - if they can handle the control and are not in tune with the administration. If that is how they receive the Lord, it is not for me to say.
Being a Minister, what I personally got out of it is knowing how prisoners feel. I understand what it’s like to be placed in a cell under solitary confinement under the control of a warped leadership. The Administrator and subordinate Aux(s) won’t hear or understand you; they say they’ll pray for you. They don’t practice what they preach and should be prayed for. It’s painful to be a Christian and be treated this way. It can be very confusing. I came away from it feeling like I want to enjoy every day of freedom, even the simplest things like breathing the outside air.
I take my vow of being Ordained very seriously and having gone through the full experience of Tres Diaz, I felt it an obligation to inform you and let the choice be yours.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page